A couple of weeks ago Bibs was invited to a birthday party. One of my friend's daughter turned 2 (big girl!). We had a nice afternoon with cake and birthday song. As usual in Jordan, there were mums from different courntries and it is always interesting to hear what they think about life here. One of the mums was from Houston, Texas and is married to a Jordanian. They came to live here not too long ago. I usually shoot the question "so what do you think of living here..." but she beat me to it.
And my answer was "i really like it here". She looked at me as she was thinking "what can she possibly like about living in Amman"... and then she asked me exactly that. So here we go: a top 10 of things I like about our life in Amman.
1. important for my mental health: I get up in the morning and the sun is shinning. And the day when it doesn't, I know it won't last. I know some say I'll be fed up, but let me reassure you... I won't!
2. life is easy. Much easier than in the UK. i have a housekeeper who comes 3 times a week, a hares available should i need to change a light bulb and I buy my vegetables from a guy who stops in front of my building.
3. Jordanians are nice. It is lovely to be in an environment where most people are actually helpful
4. the food. sharwama, humous, the best dates ever... Tomatoes that taste of tomatoes
5. my baby group! and all the lovely mums & babies/toddlers we have met already
6. interesting country, with tons of things to visit and discover
7. the driving haha!
8. though Bobs is working 5.5 days a week I see him more in the evenings than when we were living in the UK
9. how much respect and love the Jordanians show to the Royal family - I really think it is lovely.
10. Last but not least! i dont have to work, which means that i can spend every day with my lovely Bibs. Let's be honest in Europe i should have had to find a job again, we couldn't have afforded this.
And much more...
Of course nothing is perfect. So a top 3 of the bouhbouh things:
1. no pavements: so you can't walk anywhere, I need to take my car whereever I want to go. - that's another thing this lady from Houston didn't really understand! Why should I want to walk?!?
2. grocery shopping: it's expensive (imported goods) and you can't be sure to get what you want just because they had it last time! Well actually not only grocery, all type of shopping. Amman is not a shopping destination!
3. euh can't think of one right now!
What do you like about the place where you live??