Monday 6 September 2010

My other Ramadan discoveries...

Well, well everything comes to an end and we are nearly there: the end of Ramadan. So what have I discovered? Well not much. I think what surprises me the most is that I haven't really felt it was Ramadan. Of course there are small things here and there - but in my daily life, there hasn't been anything that really stuck out. I don't know why I expected it to be so different... that's the way it is when you discover a new culture, isn't it? Surprises.

For one thing, I am happy that it is coming to an end: the traffic has become horrendous. I have the impression that people are even more aggressive than usual. People are just doing dummer and dummer things.


Check that out... one way street? no! they just can't be bothered waiting, even though the traffic is not moving on the other road either. I usually see smaller versions of this, but there were 4 lanes created today! - good that nobody wanted to go in the other direction.
One of the things that I have noticed is the number of poor people whom have been in West Amman during Ramadan. The rest of the year there aren't really any poor on the streets, begging for food or money - but during the Holly month it has been much more noticeable. I guess they are coming here because of the more charitable spirit there is during this period.

Something I knew but that I just didn't think to do anything about: stock up on some wine! I will remember next year. I have lived with gin and tonic for the past month. Not the worse that could happen, but let's be honest it has its limitations and doesn't go that well with food. And I who could finally enjoy a small glass of wine since I have stopped breastfeeding. Yep all liquor stores are completely shut - the one in Cozmo is even hidden behind shelves.

Usually kids have been playing during the night outside, but this morning I saw them running around and playing football at 5:45 when Bibs got me out of bed.

To some more serious stuff. All days during Ramadan are Holy and out of all days during this month (and the rest of the year) yesterday was the holiest of all. It was Laylat Al Qadr (the Night of Power): the revelation of the Koran to the Prophet Mohammed - it is celebrated on the eve of the 27th day of Ramadan. Well, it could be any odd night in the last ten days of Ramadan - but the 27th id even more likely than the other dates - I think have understood that correctly. So there are even more prayers on this night and the prayers are for the forgiveness of sins.

And then comes Eid Al Fatr, the Festival of Fast-breaking: it is probably Thursday - it depends again of the sighting of the crescent moon, like the beginning of Ramadan. So what happens? Well, there are 3 days of celebration and these are public holidays. Apart from that I don't really know, I have to discover... alone because ohh Bobs is working, as usual. You gotta love this Hotel business.

Tomorrow we are going for Iftar - finally, Bobs had promised to take me (he couldn't really wait any longer!!), so I'll bring back some pictures and a story about that...

2 comments:

Elisa said...

You are right, there are always surprises! Thats crazy driving reminds me when we traveled to Belgrade. same thing (no holidays though) just everyday driving.

I was doing some researching for my blog and I found this link from expat woman, I can relate to some things this lady said on her interview PLUS she lived in AMMAN for 7 years and of course I thought of you..

Glad you are doing some traveling with hubby.

Unknown said...

Could you give me the link??
Yeah driving is so exciting here lol! Well... the past 3 days have been lovely - I have the impression that everybody have left amman :) The streets are empty!

Traveling with hubby is coming soon... this week we have stayed in Amman. Thanks!

Others To Read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails