Friday 17 September 2010

What's so funny?

Yesterday, I was at the petrol station and while I was sitting there waiting for my tank to be filled up, I am looking at the cars around me. Arrives a taxi, which stops next to me. And what is the guy doing? Having a fag. Right there, in the middle of a petrol station while he gets his gas in the car. The guy who serves the petrol apparently doesn't mind putting his life in danger, the taxi driver either. I try to get his attention and when it finally happens, I say something like: cigarette, gas, boom. He just looks at the his fag and half-smile, half-laugh to me. What's so bloody funny? I don't really fancy dying while I am tanking up.

That's the type of thing that really annoys me. Why is it that certain people can't use their brain? Cause even if the brain is really small, well it still understands the concept of fire + petrol = not good. The guy just doesn't care. Neither does the guy filling up the petrol (that's a really nice thing here, that you don't have to get out of the car to do it yourself...). He could just tell him to put it out or no fuel, easy. But no, helas! So I know I won't go to that petrol station any more. Of course it happens in many other stations in Amman, but what I don't know, I can't do anything about!

Old petrol station in Madaba

3 comments:

Ulrike, Dubai said...

You made me laugh. A little out loud and some quite sad and cynical, because those stories are just so common here. And by 'here' I mean the Middle East in the broadest sense.
What it is about the lack of common sense, I have no idea, but every time I see someone reversing around a roundabout, driving with their children clambering all over the car at high speed, riding a bike in the opposite direction at night on a 6-lane highway and and and, I don't even get mad anymore, I have been in the region for over 10 years and sometimes I think I have seen it all. But then there is always some idiot who proves me wrong....

carole said...

Hi, I must apologise re contacting you through a "comments" box but I can't seem to find your email address. My email was reference to an website Award. I would be grateful if you would contact me at: carole@expatfocus.com

Kind regards
Carole
Expat Focus Community Manager

Unknown said...

am sure you see the same stuff in Dubai and I am sure some places are worse that Amman as well. Common sense? I don't think it's part of the vocabulary here :) there is another small story on the way!

Others To Read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails