Tuesday 9 February 2010

Blood test for residents

I had never heard of the obligation to be tested for HIV in order to get approved for a residency. I guess that coming from Europe makes one very naive in a way. I wonder what Human Rights think about that one. So what happens if somebody is unfortunate and discover that they are HIV-positive? Are they send back where they come from? Well yes they are, they are expelled from the country. I am of the curious sort so I found a website that actually tells you per country what the regulations are: and most countries in the middle east have the same regulations (UAE, KSA...) here is the website: HIVTravel.
I could see the point if they were testing everybody (inc. Jordanians) and then giving treatment and helping those who are sick, but that is not the case obviously. In many European countries today you are tested for HIV, hepatitis... when you are pregnant. In France it has been standard for years, in the UK you can opt out but then you are refered for a sort of counselling I think. So what's the difference you might say? Well, it lies in what happens afterwards. Doesn't it - you are not going to be deported because you are HIV positive!

Ok so this morning we went to do our blood test (Bibs didn't have to do it, thanks for that!) - it is quite a large building in not such a good state, located somewhere in a back street of Amman - and there are plenty of people there, mainly philipinos coming to Jordan in order to work as nannys, or live in maids. I have to admit that I think we escaped most of the waiting as there was somebody from the hotel with us to make sure everything went smoothly - he paid (don't know how much it costs), we got our blood test done and left again. Then we are supposed to present ourselves at the nearest police station as well, but the hotel does that for us as well. So I guess we are missing out on a bit of the experience here, but hey am not going to complain about that...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I got my first blood test back in October. They didn't used to require it for Americans; it was only after the H1N1 hit here in Jordan and has killed a couple people now that they've started making it mandatory. Every time you leave the country, you've got to get it again. I think it's 20-30 JD or so.

Not looking forward to that. Wish I had an Aqamma! You're lucky to have gotten through it so smoothly; the police station can DEFINITELY be a hassle if you don't have the right paperwork.

Unknown said...

Waow I didn't realise you had to do everytime and what has H1N1 to do with it - i have read this somewhere and it struck me as odd...

Unknown said...

zach you'll excuse my "post-pregnancy" brain... it's of course on your blog I read it lol...

Others To Read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails