Wednesday 25 January 2012

A little post about medical

So came then day when I got mastitis. Am breastfeeding Bobsy and it just came out of the blue! For those who don't know what mastitis is, it's a breast infection and to say it hurts is an understatement. I am not the kind of person who runs to the doc because of a cough or a fever - but this time there was simply no way around it. And let's say it as it is: as long as you pay (or your insurance does) there is no problem and they are very thorough.

There is a street between 4th and 3rd circles: it's a doctor's street. Only doctors, hospitals, clinics of all kinds. and it's a long street! So I got an appointment with a general physician and off I went to the dreaded doctor. There is a reason why I don't go to doctors: I don't like them. I don't like them and their white overall. He was ok though - there was only a doctor part. Either he forgot the white thing at home or he doesn't like it either.

And this is what happens when you go private here: the doctor checks on you and then picks up the phone to his very good acquaintance who happens to be the head of the x-ray department of the hospital within walking distance. I get to the hospital, find the x-ray department and the receptionist that goes with it, wait for a little while and get to register, pay 30JD at the "accounting department", also called a cashier, and the head of the x-ray department is already waiting for me.

All in all I spent maybe 30 minutes at the hospital and that includes a good 5 minutes in finding the right department, at least 5 minutes to pay at the cashier and 10 minutes at the pharmacy to get the antibiotics. And this is good, because if there is one thing I dislike even more than doctors: it's hospitals. And dentists, but that's another story.

I have had a couple of other experiences with hospitals here in Jordan and it has been like that: very effective really. That is if you pay and go to the right doctors. Of course. I wonder how long one should wait in Europe to get an x-ray done at a hospital.

They can get a little overzealous as well: the doctor wanted me to get intravenous antibiotics. I told him that I was sure the oral ones were fine!

Another example is the kids' paediatrician. When I went to the hospital to give birth I was asked who my paediatrician was. I gave the name and I was so surprised when I saw her 2 hours after Bobsy was born for a complete check up. If you don't have one, of course the hospital do the check ups, but otherwise your own one comes. She came twice in 24 hours (because I am a bit hardcore and left the hospital the day after) - so she came the next day just to see him. Of course you pay for all this, but it's not that expensive. I think we paid her 70JD for both visits and the second visit was friday morning, so technically her weekend day. I have her mobile number and can call her 24/7. That kind of service simply does not exist in Europe in my experience, even if you pay for it.

Jordan is trying to become (or is becoming?) a medical tourism destination and I think it probably has the best medical in the region. People are coming from neighbouring countries to Jordan. The prices are very competitive compared to Europe and the service really much much better. 

No comments:

Others To Read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails