Tuesday 22 June 2010

Where are you from?

A typical question you get as you enter a taxi is "Where are you from?, America?", and somehow for the past couple of months it has made me a bit unconfortable.

When I arrived to Jordan and was asked I would always reply, honestly: am from Denmark, and I must say I have always had the lovely response: it is a nice country. I don't know if they know where Denmark actually is, but still, I thought it was a good answer. That was until one of my friends told me that her Danish husband had been in a bar on Al Wakalat Street and when he said he was from DK, the waiter made illusion to the problems which came after the drawings a couple of years back (I guess you all know what I am making reference to). Anyways, this really made me wonder. What happens if I am in a taxi and the driver doesn't like me being from Denmark?... The odds are probably low, but if I am with Bibs, I'd rather not take any chance. This bothers me, really. Am proud of being from Denmark. And besides that, what do I answer? If I say France, they'll look at me and say "ahhh Sarkozy" - which in a way is not that much better. So I have resigned myself to say that I am British.

Am I being paranoid? Most probably.

5 comments:

Arlene said...

Sad commentary on where things are that you would be put in such an uncomfortable position or even fearful to reveal a place of origin. I don't think you are being paranoid. But it is really too bad.

Scoop said...

I always have trouble answering that question too, especially after living overseas for three years, I really don't know where I"m from! But, I think you are wise to follow your instincts and be vague in your answer.

Unknown said...

The thing is before I was told that it could be a problem I had never felt anything and had never thought about it. so I don't know. But yes sad indeed that in our world we can't just be honest...
Scoop, I know what you mean lol, you kind of loose a bit of your identity when you don't live "at home"...

nandoism said...

Child, do like I do--"Where do you want me to be from?" That will hush 'em up quicker than a frog in quicksand!

Unknown said...

haha! yeah probably :) i could try that!

Others To Read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails